February 18, 2018

Vintage DIY Fly Box

The concept of a Do It Yourself (DIY) fly box is nothing new. Often, you'll see repurposed Altoids tins, or even random plastic containers such as pill boxes serve as the base... but it's not often you find them fashioned from an antique tobacco tin. As such, when reader Mark White sent his project in, I really wanted to share:

"There are numerous manufacturers of fly boxes on the market. All very well made along the spectrum of cost. I was searching for some a little more unique.

One weekend while browsing the local antique store I came across a “tin” that used to hold pipe tobacco. Due to the character and printing on the container, the DIY wheels began to turn.



I cut a piece of foam the size of the container and hot glued it to the bottom the tin to keep it secure and a place to hold the flies. I prefer one with an attached lid so there’s one less thing to deal with on the stream. It measures approximately 1 x 3 x 4 inches and fits nicely in a shirt pocket.



Not only does this make a good fly box but, should you have one that belonged to your grandfather, a place to hold memories."

7 comments:

  1. I used to carry altoid boxes to hold just a few of my favorites... I like the antique look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like them too. They're the perfect size if you know you're only going to sneak in a few hours fishing.

      Delete
  2. That's pretty cool. I've seen a few similar to this one. Would make a nice display also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Would look good in any fishermen's den or fly tying bench.

      Delete
  3. Mike
    It has taken me a while to learn that one doesn't need a large oversized fly box, when fishing their favorite stream or tailrace. I finally graduated down to the size of the Edgeworth. Like the design on the box, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Bill. It's definitely all you'd need to hold a dozen or so confidence flies.

      Delete
  4. Tins never stop being useful. Perfect for toting flies for sure.

    ReplyDelete