December 5, 2010

Social Network Saturday

Yesterday (Saturday) was kind of a day of vegging out around the house.  K.C., Lilly, & I put up and decorated the pre-lit artificial Christmas tree, but other than that, I more or less just sat on the sofa, watched football on TV, and goofed around on the laptop.

While on the laptop I caught up on some blogroll blog reading, did a little bit of Christmas e-window shopping, and also spent a some time on Facebook. I'm not really a power user of Facebook, but 3 things popped up in my Facebook news feed that I thought were pretty interesting.

First off, everyone's changing their Facebook profile pictures to cartoon characters this weekend.  I guess the rationale is that this is supposed to bring awareness to child abuse?

Many friends have commented that they are not sure how 1+1=2 in this scenario, but I don't care, like a lemming I followed and changed my personal profile picture to a cartoon image of Hulk Hogan, from "Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling."  But only because I couldn't find a good picture of a cartoon Captain Lou Albano.


I also happened to notice in my Facebook news stream that Fountainhead has released their Caddis series of tenkara fly rods.  I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a while, for a few reasons.  The first, it's a fiberglass composite, which is supposed to provide a slower action and deeper bend.  If true, that should be pretty nice.  Second, it's only $45.  That's right, $45.

If you've been thinking about trying tenkara but have been scared off by the $140 price tag on the rods, this should give anyone an affordable entry point...that is assuming it doesn't shatter into a thousand pieces upon the first hookset.  In any event, I fired up the PayPal and ordered one up.  Very interested to see how it compares to my Tenkara USA Iwana.  Post to come upon receipt.


Last, but not least in this Facebook filled post, I thought it was kinda neat that Orvis actually read (and pimped) my Saturday morning post about the new Android version of their fly fishing app for smartphones on their Facebook page. Especially since that clearly isn't a Helios & Battenkill outfit pictured in this blog's header.


As an offshoot, I've noticed in my site analytics that some folks are actually clicking on that link and have come over from Facebook to check out the post.  If it's your first time here at Troutrageous!, welcome.  I hope you like what you read and come back often.  In other words, don't be a stranger.  Lilly says I'm not allowed to talk to strangers.

6 comments:

  1. Rock and Westling, yes remember it well.
    The frugal price tag on the Tenkara rod may bring a few more into the sport

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to read your "review" of the Streamside Caddis Rod. I was thinking the same Brk Trt, this should bring more folks to the sport. I already forwarded the link to some of my interested but $$ strapped friends. We'll see. I think it's a wee heavier than the 11ft Iwana but the color is really cool. Might be a good backup rod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congrats! I didn't know Orvis took bribes to link to barely mediocre trout fishing blogs?!
    ( You know I'm just poking you with a pointy stick right? :) )

    Sounds like a great Saturday to me. I missed out on the FB thing. I'd have had to have found a cartoon pic of my favorite character of all time: Cheese, from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. My wife says they must have based him on me, but I swear I don't know the guys that wrote that show. As far as she knows. ;)

    And that rod....I'm tempted to ask for it for a birthday gift. I'll be eager to see what you think of it! Have a great rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike. I was reading your post, Facebook doesn't interest me, reading, Tenkara rod, interesting, but not quite yet. Reading about Orvis, glad they plugged you, then I came across this: "I hope you like what you read and come back often. In other words, don't be a stranger. Lilly says I'm not allowed to talk to strangers". I almost busted a gut. That was a great way to finish off this post.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested to hear how you like the Fountainhead Caddis as well. I have had a chance to fish the Fountainhead Stone Fly 12', and I like it about as much as my 12' Iwana

    On a side note, I wanted to say that reading your blog these past few months has corrupted me, and I'm pretty sure that's a good thing. I bought a spinning rod last week, and I'm really looking forward to using it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brk - Glad the Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkov never got the best of us.

    @GFF - We'll see. I figure it will probably be a backup (I've been known to snap a rod tip in my day), but who knows...things don't always have to be expensive to be good.

    @Owl - Barely Mediocre? Shoot, that's a bigger compliment than Orvis finding it.

    @Mark - Well, you know who's boss in my house.

    @Brandon - You'll find us folks with spinning rods aren't as bad as the guys in the fly shops make us out to be.

    ReplyDelete