December 4, 2010

The Orvis Fly Fishing App For Android Is Out

When I had written a post a few weeks back about my new cell phone, I posed the question if cell phones had a place in the outdoors.  I was impressed with all of the different comments from you guys, but was also a bit bummed to learn that there really weren't many fishing apps available for Android phones.

Well fellow Android users rejoice, a slick little app from Orvis that was previously only available to iPhone folks was made available in the Android Market this week!



Now iPhone users that have had their hands on the Orvis Fly Fishing app for a while will probably agree with me when I tell you that this app isn't revolutionary.  However it does have a few bells and whistles that make it worth downloading.

It's got some basic instructional tools - video casting tips & knot tying tips - that are pretty good, as well as updated stream reports from across the country.  Not every stream is covered, but a lot of the biggies are.  No Valley Creek...boo!  


This isn't a BUY IT NOW link, it's merely the best image
I could rip from Orvis, so don't bother clicking on this image.

I am a big fan of the app's fly catalog, with images, an overview of construction, and best techniques to fish most of the flies that Orvis offers.  It's also got a complete repository of the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer, which are a pretty good listen and make for good background noise while tying flies.

The app costs $15 to download, which is a bit pricey, but Orvis tosses $10 back your way via an electronic gift certificate for a future purchase at Orvis.com...such evil genius is quite impressive.

DISCLAIMER:
The Orvis Fly Fishing App featured in this quasi-product review was not provided at no cost by the manufacturer; I bought it from the Android Market for $14.99 just like anyone else. Someday I'm sure Orvis will recognize the greatness that takes place on this blog on a daily basis and begin to shower me with all kinds of free stuff, but until then my reviews, as with all independent gear reviews at Troutrageous!, will remain honest and unbiased.

4 comments:

  1. how long did it taken to get your gift card? I was contemplating it for iphone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike, thanks for stopping by. The GC came in a day, maybe two via email. Now what to spend it on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this app is as useful as their website it's worth the money. I'm going to have to give this a try on the Droid.

    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PTO - Give it a shot. Like I said, it's pretty solid...but maybe not mindblowing. Definitely the best fishing app on Android right now.

    ReplyDelete