June 7, 2020

Recent Additions to the Fishing Library

Things haven't been particularly "fishy" for me this year.

Corona lockdowns and some recent health issues have kept me very local. Haven't fished for trout once. While not the worst thing, it makes writing on Troutrageous! a little challenging.

Instead, I've been fishing vicariously by reading some books about the subject, three of which are author-signed additions to the library I previously outlined about a year ago.


In Praise of Little Fishes by Marcus Selden Goldman


Not a fishing book, rather a book about fish. And little ones at that (chub, dace, shiners, perch, etc...)  For whatever the reason, I've started to take interest into native fish of all sorts, even recently joining NANFA - which is a whole different rabbit hole I'll probably write about in the future. This particular book has been out of print for quite a long time, and when I finally tracked down a copy, I was extremely lucky enough to find a numbered & signed version.





Squaretail by Bob Mallard


Wow. What an awesome book about brook trout and the native ranges they call home. I had no idea when I placed the order online that it was actually done in quite as hefty a format, basically a coffee table sized book. As such, the large format photography is as gorgeous as the writing is informative. Plus, Bob had written an article for my side-hustle (Tenkara Angler) a few years ago, so it was nice to be able to read more of his work.




Fly Fishing the Blue Ridge Parkway by Sam R. Johnson


Before I had the recent health setback, my wife & I were planning a little getaway to western North Carolina, just for a change of scenery. I picked up this excellent guide book as a way to expand my range a bit beyond the "usual" places I fish while in that area. In digging in, I've been blown away with how informative this book is without giving away specific honey holes. After trading a few emails, Mr. Johnson graciously signed and inscribed my copy prior to sending along.



No comments:

Post a Comment