March 8, 2020

Shaking off the Rust

I haven't blogged for real in a while. Not counting the Tenkara Angler infomercials posted, I think the last original entry here was in October or November or 2019. I did contribute to a crowd sourced post over at the Tenkara-Fisher blog, but that's about it. Ouch.


I've had a tough 2020 so far from a fishing front, as in the fact that I haven't done any. That's kind of strange, but it's a trend that's going (and needs) to end soon. I'll definitely get out this weekend to hit one of the retention ponds in my neighborhood... heck with the clocks "springing ahead" maybe I'll be able to do a little after work fishing soon. However, I'm really excited that I'm headed to the Philly area for a week on the 13th, where I'll have to sneak out of family obligations to visit some special regulation water and chase some trout. 

Coronavirus pandemic panic be damned, I do hope to get out and about a bit to get on some trout water this year. I even picked up a new Orvis 3-weight Superfine rod & Battenkill reel that I'm rather excited to use. No, I'm not giving up tenkara, quite the contrary, I just wanted to make my fishing a little more reel.


To date, my tentative (trout) fishing travel plans are as follows:

Would love to try to squeeze in a few other trips here and there, but I just don't know where they might be. Maybe I'll dust off the saltwater rod and try flailing around in the local surf again. You've probably noticed, I never really took to the Jacksonville scene as it relates to my fly fishing. We'll see how that goes.

In any event, I'm going to try to post a little bit more on here as I start to re-focus on fishing. Maybe some of it will be irreverent or odd, just like the good old days of 2010 & 2011. Or not. We'll see. Either way, I'll definitely be consuming more fishing content, so if you write a fishing blog that I follow, look for me in your comments.



P.S. For those of you that have been around for a while, Lilly turned 14 this past week. Fourteen! When I started this blog she was one. Crazy how time flies. High school next year. I don't write about her much to protect her privacy as she grows up, but she's become quite the interesting character. 

She is obsessive about creating art - be it digital, watercolors, paint pens, pencil, you name it. She loves Broadway musicals, (she does backstage tech for her school's productions), eating ice cream, and sadly, I couldn't get her to go fishing with me if I tried. She has a very unique style of drawing and maintains her "portfolio" on Instagram. She's also a good kid who does well academically in school and simply cares, be it for others that need help, causes, you name it. She has a huge heart. I hope she keeps that quality as she gets older, the world certainly needs more of it.


8 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back buddy. Looking forward to fishing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be great to read your blog more often. I think I've read every post at least twice over the years. Isn't it amazing how short a trip around the Sun is? With each completed trip our children are a little older -- not us though, we're still young and invincible (just don't look in the mirror) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tom. You're not kidding... Still 25. Although the joints beg to differ!

      Delete
  3. Well Michael, good to have you back. Glad you beat the skunk the first time out this year. As followers of your blog, we have watched Lilly grow up into a very nice young lady. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, Lilly is her mom's daughter so all the credit goes there... I'm just the one who teaches her curse words and how to dip pretzel sticks in Nutella.

      Delete