March 9, 2020

Let's Go Fishing

Look at this f'n pig of a bluegill. I had to alter the background so people wouldn't figure out where my honey hole is located.


Actually, that's a joke. It cracks me up when people do that online. I get it (maybe) if you're fishing a fragile native brook trout stream where a little bit of pressure could be negative for the health of the resource... but when people do it while hoisting mutant hatchery trout out of the water, it's dumb. They probably just followed the stocking truck anyway. But I digress...

I did get out on the water for the first time in 2020 yesterday (hooray)! Kept it local and hit some of the retention ponds at the neighborhood ball field. One pond was a dud, the other was pretty good. 

I walked to the park toting a Cabela's CGR fiberglass rod in hand. Wasn't going to be a fixed line/tenkara day, as I wanted to fish streamers and stripping line is more fun than twitching it.


Yes, it's shorts weather down here. Sorry. Not really.

Pond #1... the one with the obnoxious fountain in the middle. This isn't a great photo of it, but you kind of get the point.


This pond used to be really good, but now it sort of sucks. It used to be more wooded around the perimeter, with more structure near the banks, but they drained it two years ago in the name of development, made it a ton deeper, and largely barren. Maybe the fish hang out at the fountain in the middle soaking in some oxygenation, because they're not anywhere near the banks anymore. It's a shame, it used to be good for some largemouth bass. Peace out.

Pond #2... old standby.


I fish here a lot. There are lots of bluegill in this pond, and occasionally some healthy bass. Some of the largest bass I've caught in Florida came from this unassuming piece of water. This is also where I get harassed by the PETA lady who wants to know why I enjoy torturing animals. She didn't show up today. If she did, I would have faked a coughing fit, sneezed on my hand, and tried to touch her face.

Anyway, it didn't take long to get into fish here. Lots of bluegill and a random dink bass or two. Bluegill are honestly more fun to catch on a tenkara rod as the thing flexes like crazy and it feels like you have a big fish on even when you don't. The 4-weight fiberglass fly rod bent fairly often, but it just wasn't the same feeling. Maybe a 2 or 3 weight would have been more appropriate. 

Like I said I caught more than a few...







Bluegill aren't particularly challenging to catch, so I changed up my flies a bit to create a some variety. First a black leech, then a foam popper, might have even tossed some beadhead nymphs out there. It was one of those things where it was fun... until it wasn't anymore.  

Once that happened, I broke the rod down, packed it up, and walked back to the house. A good first day of fishing for me, although it was neither adventurous or strenuous. It definitely scratched the itch and got the skunk off of 2020 in a satisfactory way.

12 comments:

  1. Michael - oh my word! Those gills are fantastic little brutes! Glad you had a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along, they were definitely a handful.

      Delete
  2. I never thought Peta had a sense of humor until they thought the Redskins should change their logo to a red skinned potato. If you get a chance, pitch her into the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I enjoy engaging in conversation when she makes her presence known...like to ruffle those feathers.

      Delete
  3. The tail on that first gill is crazy about %20 of the body. Nice pics and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could just be the perspective, but yeah, that's one big rudder.

      Delete
  4. Michael
    Wow, what a trip, worth the wait to hit big with some super size gills----my second favorite fish to land using the fly rod. Stay safe there in Florida now that the state has numbers of virus cases. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, I'll try to steer clear. Seems like it's popping up everywhere though... Even if it's not reported or diagnosed yet. Should make for a "fun" summer...

      Delete
  5. Mike I agree with Feather Chucker on that bluegills tail. He must have been a hell of a fighter.
    Good to see you fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the tail isn't long... but the body is short... hmmmmmmm.....

      Delete
  6. Those retention ponds always have huge gills in them. I'm hitting one near me in a few weeks. It's a great place for the kids to.

    ReplyDelete