February 6, 2019

Parr Marks

"parr": Juvenile salmonid fish which have dispersed from the freshwater spawning site and are characterized by vertical striped markings ("parr marks") on the body.

Social media has some sort of odd bias against small fish. Perhaps it's because they don't make for the same sort of jaw dropping grip-and-grin photo as a 30+ inch kype-jawed brown trout. 

Small trout are regularly referred to as "dinks," "guppies," and even "bait". I don't think all of it is negative or made with ill will, much of it merely playful ribbing between anglers.

These parr marked gems are some of the most beautiful creatures in nature. Kind of makes any negative remarks, even when made in jest, look foolish. At least in my opinion.

Give me parr marks any day.













9 comments:

  1. These fishes are absolutely awesome! Their parr marks remind me a little bit of the yamame I caught in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I think you know how I feel about small fish.
    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. We're on the same team, thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  3. Agree 100% Mike. I love trout with parr marks. Makes me feel like I'm catching amago in Japan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And fun to C & R on a 2wt or 3wt. Let'em chase the 30 inchers, bet we catch a lot more little ones and have a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fishing small stream pocket water, hopping rocks, scaling small waterfalls to find the next run of fishable water... these sort of fish rule that sort of water. So much fun!

      Delete
  5. Was looking for some larger ones to eat but caught about a dozen salmon parr in a gorgeous creek yesterday, absolutely lovely little guys, and ferocious eaters too. Caught one on a full nightcrawler.

    ReplyDelete