September 23, 2016

The New Yorker's Profile of Yvon Chouinard

Patagonia. (The brand, not the land).

Say what you will about it, (I know I have), but the backstory of the man behind the brand, Yvon Chouinard, is a pretty interesting one. For many of you, it's not a new tale, but when my father-in-law emailed me a copy of the following profile from The New Yorker titled "Patagonia's Philosopher-King," I was totally captivated for the ten or so minutes it took to consume.


Perhaps it's because I work in retail. Perhaps it's because I admire people who effect change. Perhaps it's just because he's an interesting, albeit somewhat unassuming character, which may or may not actually be true. Perhaps it's just author Nick Paumgarten's way with words. Perhaps I'm just drinking a tall glass of Fitz Roy-flavored Kool-Aid. 

I don't know. After reading it, all I want to do is get outdoors, fish my tenkara rod, and go save the Earth, not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment