September 21, 2016

Star Wars: Rogue One - It's Almost Time

Disclaimer: This is a non-fishing post. I do these from time to time, so deal with it.


I recently realized that I never really addressed the upcoming Star Wars film Rogue One here on the blog, despite writing several posts over the last year about Star Wars: The Force Awakens. While my opinion is no where near critical to your enjoyment or build up of anticipation for the release, I figured I'd at least chime in because we're now less than three months away from the premiere.

I'm pretty psyched for the film, the first in what appears to be several "stand-alone" entries into the Star Wars universe. For various reasons, it seems that there is a small, but vocal faction of Star Wars faithful that don't share my enthusiasm, citing the over the top Hollywood visuals and polish, a Director that might just be in over his head, the emergence of black-armored death troopers that seemingly solely exist to sell merchandise, and the amount of information that has been tactfully leaked to the press in advance.


Look, I guess it is what it is, it might not be George Lucas' pre-CGI Star Wars anymore, but different doesn't have to be bad. After all, Star Wars is an outer-space fairy tale. It's entertainment. It's never going to be confused for an Oscar-nominated "Best Picture" candidate, and it's definitely to the point where the story lines are being catered toward the masses, not necessarily crafted for die-hards that long for the "Expanded Universe" to be reinserted into canon. It's a little more evolved than a standard "popcorn movie," but not by terribly much. (With the exception of Empire, the first ones weren't either, most of us were just too young to know the difference).


So bring on Jyn Erso and all of the other characters whose names I really haven't taken the time to learn yet. Bring on the media blitz, and the fatigue from overexposure that comes along for the ride. Bring on the merchandise; yes, I've already pre-ordered a horribly-sculpted action figure for Lilly to play with, and really think those beach-loving stormtroopers and that blind space-ninja guy are rad. Heck, bring on Forest Whitaker, just because you can. Bring it all on, because with 32 years between Return of the Jedi & The Force Awakens (I don't count those damn prequels), the Star Wars franchise has a lot of lost time to make up for, and there's no time like the present. 

Oh, and did I mention bring on Darth Vader too?


December 16th, 2016, let's do this!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I'm a movie behind in the Star Wars saga's. Guess I need to do a little catching up, although I watched (again) Star Wars: The Clone Wars yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one is a prequel of sorts to the original 1977 Star Wars, so I'd guess you're good to go!

      Delete
  2. First off, let my start by saying - I'm lovin' your new layout. It's new, modern, so fresh and so clean!

    I'm excited for the new Star Wars movies. I've always been a huge fan, and you're absolutely right about it being an "outer-space fairy tale" and that it's not out there to win best picture etc. I know far too many people that over analyze the Star Wars movies, and I'm always like, it's all for entertainment, but to each their own...I kind of like it that way. Makes for some great debates and fairy tale conversation. ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carf, appreciate the kind words on the update.

      Delete