April 11, 2015

Southern Rainbows

Ever since I moved to Florida I've been somewhat saddened that my days of regular trout fishing were numbered. While the Sunshine State has tons of epic sport fishing opportunities, (coldwater) trout is not one of them...and for a guy who writes a blog called "Troutrageous!," that can be a difficult pill to swallow. The closest trout to me is a 5 to 7 hour trip to Georgia...or so I thought.

North Georgia trout from 2014's Owl Jones Escapade...

Turns out, there's something pretty interesting going on in Tallahassee. Interesting to me at least. Evidently for quite some time, a cardiologist has been stocking Kamloops rainbow trout in the pond on his plantation property creating a way for locals to fly fish for trout in Florida in the cooler winter months. It's become somewhat of an annual tradition ever since.

He only allows catch & release, barbless-hook fly fishing (4 weight or over, as not to stress the fish), and simply asks for a small fee of $25 be left in the mailbox on his property. How old-school is that? Once it gets too warm to keep the trout, he drains the pond and the fish go to local restaurants.

Image Courtesy: Coastal Angler Magazine

While I've always considered myself a "wild trout" kind of fisherman, I have to say this is really intriguing, if for no other reason to see the place. I'd really enjoy the chance to talk with Dr. Allee and ask a few questions about "why & how?" In his annual announcement, he claims to not be "computer literate," so it'd probably be best done in person. 

The window has probably closed now that we're in mid-April, but November & December will be here before we know it...perhaps a trip West is in the cards...

Here are a few links to articles or posts I found out about Dr. Allee & Hiamonee Planation.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting too. I was hoping I'd find brookies somewhere, but these would certainly do.

      Delete
  2. A great idea. Hats off to Dr. Allee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool! I had no idea. Callaway Gardens (GA) (google 'em) used to stock trout in their lakes and a small creek, too - not sure if they are still doing it or not. They made you fish with a guide though I think. Details are fuzzy.... in FL though? Never would have thought they'd have lived, even in winter. Pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get that Google machine working Owl...thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you won't forget how to fish for trout. I agree with Mark, Dr. Allee must have been a sportsman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Howard. A trout fisherman, no doubt.

      Delete
  5. Just to add to the conversation here, Michael. Kamloops Rainbow Trout are a fantastic fish to challenge with a fly rod. I realize you have a very short period of time to fish for them so hope you can get in on the fun. In the lakes out west here they can grow rapidly and be tons of fun with size too boot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome for you, as well as other trout anglers who need a trout fix. I'm sure it's not the same as PA but I would do it if I lived in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take the fix anyway you can get it Mike! You need to jump on a plane and make it to Colorado for a troutrageous escapage! Just say the word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been over there a few times while visiting relatives. It's a nice little pond with some cover and trees around it in spots.. Not a retention pond look to it at all.

    The trout eat the feeder food on top but I never could get any on a dry fly. Always with a weighted streamer or a sink tip line to get deep.

    A good way to kill a few hours..

    ReplyDelete