September 8, 2014

Partridge & Flash Inspiration

Read a great post over the weekend from Alan at Small Stream Reflections...you should really go read it when you get a chance.

He tied a 'Partridge & Flash' wet fly that looked really simple to tie, yet effective as all get out.  The post itself tells a great story in and around the tying & fishing of this fly.


Thought I'd tie a few of my own yesterday, except reverse the hackle and make them tenkara style kebari.  I also added a peacock herl collar, which is a typical feature on my tenkara flies.  As you can tell, I'm not much at the vise, I can tie about 6 patterns adequately, but these turned out okay despite the poorly focused picture below.


I really need to get better quality partridge, the feathers I have came in a fly tying kit from a few years back and are all nasty and full of fluff.  That said, I can't wait to give these a try once I get back on some trout water.  Maybe Colorado at the end of the month.

Did you tie or fish any different flies this weekend?

8 comments:

  1. No flies. I spent the weekend taking out unwanted bushes. Up here they grow like weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain Mark. Too many chores (or work), not enough fishing!

      Delete
  2. Michael, bring them too Colorado. I think the trout out this way would be excited for a chance at a Troutrageous Tenkara offering. I am building jigs this day if that still counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Mel. This is going to be a tying weekend, so will probably whip up a half dozen. Jigs are good with me!

      Delete
  3. Nice flies Mike.
    Good feathers will make your tying so much easier.
    A great Partridge skin will cost 30 bucks and keep you in flies 'til your retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in! All of the feathers I usually use are good. I just need some partridge. Looks like a great material.

      Delete
  4. I am pleased to discover that I can still learn something.

    ReplyDelete