February 15, 2014

The Quest For The Ultimate Fly Fishing Kayak - Part 5

The fifth installment of the "Quest" series brings a bit more information on a kayak first mentioned back in Part 2; the 2014 Feelfree Lure 11.5 Fishing Kayak.

Feelfree Lure 11.5 fishing kayak

Being initially turned on to this boat from nothing more than 3D renderings, it's really neat to see how it evolved into a final product.  What's not to like about this kayak?

Personally, there are 3 things that catch my attention.  Stability, seating, and accessories.

The Lure seems quite stable for its relatively short length.  A 36 inch width surely plays a role in that.  There is already some video online showing extensive fishing from the standing position.  An additional stand up leash makes it easy to safely go from a seated to standing position.  While I don't find myself standing all that much in my kayak, it's good to know you can in the Lure if desired.


The multi-position Gravity Seat is pretty much like a mini La-Z-Boy chair.  With multiple adjustments from low to almost a foot high, the seating configurations are practically limitless.  I'd love to take this for a test paddle just to see how different the balance is between the low and high positions.

Finally, I'm drawn in by the optional Uni-bar "dashboard" concept.  Most kayaks come with side rails that make it easy to add rod holders, GPS, camera mounts, you name it.  The Uni-bar works with the side rails of the Lure to create a horizontal platform for additional mounting capacity.  I haven't pimped my kayak out with too many add-ons yet, but this appears to be an ultra convenient option which allows the angler to have key accessories laid out directly in front of them for super easy access.

Austin Canoe & Kayak (ACK.com) recently did a very good intro video about the ins and outs of the new Lure.  It's definitely worth the time to watch.


Stats (From Feelfree website)
Length: 11' 6" (350 cm.)
Width: 36" (91 cm.)
Weight : 69lbs (31 kg.)
Capacity: 375 lbs (170 kg)


DISCLAIMER:
I currently hold no association with Feelfree Kayaks or Austin Canoe & Kayak, this post simply highlights product(s) of interest for those seeking a kayak for fly fishing.


The Quest For The Ultimate Fly Fishing Kayak Series
Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4

5 comments:

  1. That's a really nice looking boat - and a retractable keel, too? That looks as smooth as anything I've seen anywhere. I'd like for you to test one too and report back with your findings. Maybe they'll send you one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd like to try one out. Not that I'm looking to get rid of my other boat already (it hasn't disappointed) - this one has a lot of similar attributes, and to be honest a few more.

      Delete
  2. Truly appreciate you doing all the homework on fishing kayaks. An ultimate purchase decision will be much easier thanks to your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much research, just gives me something to write about. I'm glad you're finding them useful.

      Delete