October 6, 2013

Guana Lake - My First Real Kayak Fly Fishing Outing

With the weather finally behaving, I was able to take the kayak out yesterday to Guana Lake.  Also known as Lake Ponte Vedra, Guana Lake is part of the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve - which is a lot of words, right?!

The "Six-Mile" launch...two more miles and it'd be an Eminem movie.

Anyway...despite a fairly consistent breeze that was pushing me around a little bit, it was a pretty nice day out on the water.  I didn't really catch much, but I did learn some more things about handling my kayak, figuring out the most efficient layout for stuff in and on the boat, and just casting my 8-weight from a paddling/seated position.


Not to say that I was skunked...but I do probably need to get a pair of those grip thingies to deal with toothy critters...

Hey, that's not a brown trout...first fish in the 'yak.

Guess I can keep the blog's name Troutrageous! for the time being...

I also "caught" a crab, or maybe the crab caught my fly.  Either way I flung it off the side rather than do a grip & grin.  I like my fingers.


Windburned and sunburned, I had to call it quits after a few hours.  I do have to say the few hours out on the water felt really good.  I feel like it's been a while since I've said that about my fishing outings.

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing all of your Florida outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick, just getting started. It's all a little bit different, I should really break down and get a guide to show me what's what, but I'm a stubborn DIY-er.

      Delete
  2. Now that's some beautiful looking water. I'm glad you're not changing the name and getting out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name was never in doubt, only the catching. Thanks for reading Howard.

      Delete
  3. I see that Florida sun is giving you a healthy glow. I would suggest more time on the water. Sure that wasn't a brown trout? Like Larry Bird and Tweedy Bird "they look an awful lot alike". Yeh, a fish grabber would be in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely need one of those boga grip things, I don't like how these fish have real teeth!

      Delete
  4. That fish is cool looking. It has markings like a red drum but the color is really dark like a black drum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, it's a spotted seatrout. I was hoping for a redfish, but I'll take it.

      Delete
  5. Very cool post, great pics, nice seatrout! We are new followers but are definitely big fans of the blog. Tight lines!

    Spencer
    www.featherandfinblog.com

    ReplyDelete