July 10, 2012

Tenkara Tuesday - The Summit & Rod Selection

Hey, look, Tenkara Tuesday's back.  Yeah, thought I'd go ahead and write up something today since the 2012 Tenkara Summit is in 3 weeks...  Three weeks?  Holy crap that snuck up quick.

Well, lucky for me, you don't need a lot of gear when tenkara-ing, that's the whole point, right?  So figuring out what fishing tackle I need to bring with should be pretty easy.  Rods, lines, tippet, flies.  What I don't have any clue about is the other stuff.  I hear it's hot in Utah during the day, but cold at night.  Man, and I had hoped to wear the same t-shirt and shorts all 5 days out there.  After all simplicity is what us tenkrazies seek, not heavy luggage.

Think I forgot anything?

I guess I'm looking at packing waders, a jacket, maybe long pants, all that stuff.  I don't know.  Anybody out in Utah got a suggestion?  I know one or two of you and/or your multiple wives read this blog...

I do know sunscreen is a must because I pretty much got sun poisoning a few years back on a business trip.  As a diversion, rather than playing golf, and of course rather than drinking beer, our vendor took us jet skiing on some body of water up in the mountains somewhere...I put on some lame ass SPF like 15 and got burned to a crisp...at least the Raspberry milkshakes afterwards were good.

Me, being a sun burnt doofus, circa 2003 or 4.

So that trip stuff aside I thought I'd highlight a pretty cool thing Tenkara USA put out yesterday since one of the most common questions I get from readers via email is "which tenkara rod do you recommend?"  Now, rather than relaying an opinion of my own, I can just lazily point them to this video...



...or to this handy dandy chart, for those that don't want to invest 7 and a half minutes of their life to watching Daniel jibber-jabber.

Print out, laminate, keep in your wallet, and be an absolute tenkaranerd

BOOM!  Look at that...something of vaguely tangible value here on Tenkara Tuesday.  Well sort of anyway.  No, it doesn't speak to other brands of tenkara rods, but you can find that sort of info somewhere else if you look hard enough.  I'm more so focused on unindustriously recycling content.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you a Western tenkara angler? Do you have a story, pictures, video, fly recipe, or simply a fishing report from one of your recent tenkara adventures? If so, Troutrageous! wants to hear from you for a future Tenkara Tuesday post! Feel free to send an email HERE, or check out this previous post for more information.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't listen to Dan, but I did notice on the chart that the fishing situations were ALL stream situations. No mention of lakes or ponds. I assume the list was from T-USA because no other rods were listed, although the list may be longer than you showed. Have a good time in UT and take your sunscreen. We were told in the Army that sunburn was a court-martial offense: damaging government property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the chart came from TUSA. Right click, Save As, upload. I'm a thief. There's a few that mention lakes and rivers if you take a second look (like the Ito & Ayu for example).

      Delete
  2. Hey, did you take the picture of the luggage pile in Sacramento. We have one just like that on Concourse B. Maybe it's just an airport terminal thing.

    Are you a Western tenkara angler? Do you have a story, pictures, video, fly recipe, or simply a fishing report from one of your recent tenkara adventures? If so, Troutrageous! wants to hear from you for a future Tenkara Tuesday post! Feel free to send an email HERE, or check out this previous post for more information.

    You taken a look at my blog lately?

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, at least you read it. Do you need more of an invite to write something up for over here? I was afraid to ask you, you know with you being a published author and everything... :)

      Delete
  3. Multi-Wives? You've been watching too much of that "Sister Wives" crap, T! Heck no... It's me and me alone... (I was never good at sharing...lol.) And for packing... shorts, jeans, wading pants, rain jacket for river...just in case. Simple! 90's during the day, 70's during the night. Sorry...it's not going to "cool off" at night. But, dry not humid air! Yes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and you must have been skiing at Bear Lake. Home of Raspberry everything! I love the jam too!!!!

      Delete
  4. John from Tenkara Guides LLC here, we are the organizers of the 2012 Tenkara Summit so hopefully I can help you out here with your trip plans. There are dozens of high mountain streams in the Salt Lake City area so I would bring 11ft or 12ft Iwana and the Amago or Ito. Day 2 of the summit we will be fishing the Lower Provo River where the occasional 18-20+ inch brown trout can be had. Most fish in the 14-16 inch range. There will be a demonstration on day 2 about hybrid tenkara methods and the Amago works best for those methods so if you want to see what we have been testing and evaluating for over a year in hybrid tenkara methods, bring your Amago and check it out.

    We have a sold out event. This is going to be a great time so don't miss out!

    John
    Tenkara Guides LLC

    ReplyDelete