November 29, 2010

They Don't Make A Cream For This...

It was cold this weekend.  No, not as cold as it will be in a few weeks, but cold nonetheless.  The windchill didn't help much either, and because of that I stayed in for most of the weekend tying flies.  Until I got the itch Sunday afternoon...  If you're reading this, I know you're familiar with the itch.  Damn the itch.

I didn't have a lot of time before the Eagles game started at 4:00.  (Which in retrospect, the final score proved there was no reason to rush home to watch football).  No trout were in the cards for me today, too much time would be wasted in the car travelling to & from the local trout water.  Instead I took a quick jaunt over to Sanatoga Park to see if the cold temps chilled the warmwater fish into hiding.

Upon arrival I immediately got to slingin' bugs on my 3-weight and settled into the casting zone. I could have placed a fly wherever I wanted, which is rare, as my casting is normally erratic at best.

Unfortunately I'd be lying if I said the action was fast & furious.  Instead, in an hour and a half's worth of time, I ended up catching about a half dozen little bass, just like this guy, and one equally small bluegill.
little sanatoga park bass

That was it...and by then, it was time to head home.  It was almost time for kickoff and my fingers were completely numb.  Luckily, I didn't need them to scratch the itch. The bass took care of that.

13 comments:

  1. Right on! thats a perfect size for the 3 wt. glad you... "itched"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could have stayed and fished some more. Sorry they lost to the Bears. You must have enjoyed the hurting they put on the Redskins two weeks ago. I think the Redskins forgot to show up.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very familiar with that "itch". It's been over a month since the last scratch.

    Glad you found something to bite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. always good to go out and get a few bass.

    Did we have a bet on the game? I think we did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to scratch my itch for the last three weeks either. I am hoping to do something about it over the coming weekend when we are going to throw some flies at some Sand sharks though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All it takes is a little bass to scratch an itch... and a 6" bass on a 3 wt is loads of fun! What fly was most effective?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They don't have to make a cream for it. There is already a 100% natural, completely organic substance that will relieve the itch completely...
    .
    .
    .
    It's fish slime. Get a little of that on your hands and the itch goes away. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have kept fishing. That way the Eagles would have whipped them **&%* Bears, me being a Packer fan.

    Little fish are better than no fish, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn the itch! But little bass on a fly rod are still a lot of fun!

    The Average Joe Fisherman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great size to land on the 3wt. I will have to try out our local park lake this week and see if there is anything moving. Thanks for reminding me and the other bloggers that a park lake is not fished out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a place like that near me. Plenty of fish, all under 12". I don't know the pond's real name - we call it Small World.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There ain't nothin' wrong with a 12 inch bass. Nor is there anything wrong with a 12 inch bass fillet dipped in egg, cornmeal and hot grease.(where legal.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks guys. Yes, those little bass were just what I needed to get me through the work week.

    Lucky (for me) the Eagles play on Thursday this week - get that Bears debacle out of my memory.

    @Wolfy - I don't remember...did we make a bet on the game at the Sly Fox that night? What do I owe ya?

    @Jay - I couldn't even tell you what fly, they're generic flies I got at Walmart...hence Tuesday's Bo Bo post.

    ReplyDelete