April 16, 2010

The Red Don

I get a email newsletter from Front Range Anglers out in Colorado.  I bought a reel from them once, and their newsletter is a highlight of each month.  This month featured a really nice looking fly that I think would look great on the end of my tenkara line.

Here's the pic and writeup, taken straight from the April newsletter:

A month ago Patrick Knackendoffel who works for FRA showed me a fly he's been working on which he calls the Red Don.  If you like attractors as I do, this is a winner.  He has an olive and PMD version

Red Don Nymph - Olive
  • Bead: Tungsten Montana Fly Lucent bead. 2.4mm, Christmas Red
  • Hook: Gamakatsu C12-B #14
  • Thread: Danville's 6/0 Tan
  • Tail: Olive Dyed Pheasant Tail tips
  • Abdomen:1/8" Tan Hareline scudback wrapped around Olive Hareline Midge Diamond Braid
  • Thorax: Hareline Ice Dub, Golden Brown
  • Hackle: Partridge or alternative
  • Wingcase/Air Bubble: 1/8" Tan Hareline scudback under Clear UV Knot sense
Red Don Nymph - PMD
  • Abdomen: 1/8" Tan Hareline scudback wrapped around Orange Hareline Midge Diamond Braid
  • Thorax: Hareline Hare's Ear Plus Dubbing
  • Wingcase/Air Bubble: 1/8" orange Hareline scudback under Clear UV Knot sense

4 comments:

  1. That's a cool looking fly! I think a red hook is making a splash with other species now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great looking fly I think, at least in the eye of a beginner such as myself.
    I will have to see about getting their newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Owl - Red is everywhere...does look good on a fly though.

    @ Rick - It's a good read, you should subscribe. Saw you picked up that Eagle Claw outfit - think you're gonna have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete