January 1, 2022

Here's to a Deliberate 2022

Yeah, so those 2021 New Year's resolutions didn't turn out so good.

I didn't really revive the blog as I had hoped, and while I didn't really write about it then, the health and fitness goals didn't work out so well either. Oh well, at least the fishing was arguably the best I've ever had, in quality, not quantity. 

I mean Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Colorado, (and of course Florida), super solid. Especially since so many of those outings were shared with friends.

The Colorado crew and I from August 2021

So what's in store for 2022? Well, my only (admittedly vague) resolution is to be more deliberate with all aspects of my life.

For pretty much my entire 44 years, I've done a lot of things on other people's terms, and just decided to roll with the punches and let opportunity and adventure find me, not the other way around. Fortunately, and I guess because I have good work ethic and have always been careful not to allow anybody to take advantage of me, the strategy has worked out fairly well. I find myself with a family I love more than anything, a good job, and general security in life. Sure, I live in Florida (which I hate), but that won't be permanent.

Perhaps due to the malaise of the last two COVID years, or even a bit of a mid-life crisis rearing its head, in 2022 (and hopefully beyond) I'm going to strive to do more things on my terms, not those of others. If it requires more planning and forethought, so be it. It's muscle I need to develop, especially if I want to start to throw my own punches. A bit selfish? Maybe. Long overdue? Definitely.

Thanks to this video for a bit of inspiration. When I first watched it about a decade ago, it didn't really resonate. Today, it's a different story. I wonder how it worked out for these folks? I was friendly with more than a few of them through this blog at one time. Maybe I should try to find them again and find out.

1 comment: