February 10, 2021

Making Wednesdays Great Again

The First Wednesday Nibbles Since 2016?

Thought I'd bring back Wednesday Nibbles. This is the space I use to jot down some random notes. These are more for documenting fun, yet generally dissociated things that may not merit a blog post of their own. So here we go...

Planning 2021

Is it me, or does it feel like we all might be able to more liberally travel by the end of the summer or early fall? Certainly seems that way, especially with the Russian-developed Sputnik vaccine recently testing well.

I'd like to try and get to three distant spots for fishing this year (if things fall into place). Wisconsin, Colorado, and Pennsylvania. I've also technically got Oni School coming in Utah, but I guess that is more dependent on Oni than me.

In the short term, I'm looking to outfit my CR-V for a bit of car camping. Just want to get a little mattress of some sort to toss down in the back to sleep on. Gonna make a run up to North Georgia or western North Carolina either in the end of February or early March. Maybe upgrade the sleeping bag as well.

Flyside Chats with Anthony Naples

Looks like Anthony has been making use of his time and has cranked out a few 15 minute-ish videos with some of this fly fishing friends. The first four episodes of Flyside Chats featured Rob Worthing, Matt Sment, Jason Klass, and Tom Davis.

I'm excited to see how this series develops, and I'd really love to see some chats with folks from more of the rod and reel side of the spectrum. I know Anthony dabbles in many styles of fishing, so perhaps he's already got some things in the works. Either way, I'll be watching!

Moss Piglets & Water Bears

I love these goofy videos. Not a vulgarly funny as the O.G. crazy nastyass honey badger video, but still very entertaining. I'm sure you'll find this one amusing as well. 

        

Buying Alaska

Over the last month or two I've become more and more addicted to the Buying Alaska series on Destination America, which resides within the Discovery's network of channels. There's about 60 episodes of re-runs that ran from like 2012-2015, and it's just intoxicating. 

You're probably familiar with the premise, although it's usually done in more urban or tropical locations. Here, people want to move to Alaska, get presented with 3 homes, have a budget of like $200K, and are shocked when they don't have running water and have to make use of an outhouse. I love it, and basically binge it on Saturdays or Sundays when episodes seemingly run back to back to back. And when not in Alaska, there are carbon copies of the same show highlight homes in the Yukon or purchasing RVs. All wonderful.

Tenkara Perspectives

While I had been cranking out posts here in the beginning of January (pre-NFL playoffs), I had also written a little bit of a tenkara retrospective and look to the future over at Tenkara Angler. I published it last week and it drew a lot of reactions both on the blog and on other social media.

It was a long read, but the gist of it was that tenkara's seen a lot of ups and downs over the past 10+ years. However, thanks to people seeking everything "outdoors" during the pandemic, it would be a great time in this mini upswing for those with the wherewithal to become the sport's latest stewards.

So check it out, and also check out Daniel Galhardo's response over at Tenkara USA. It's nice to see that Tenkara USA is firmly focused on the future of tenkara outside of Japan as well!


3 comments:

  1. Spent a lot of time camping in the back of my pickup before I started roughing it in the trailer. Fishing, maybe more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, let's both get it done Mark.

      Have you ever seen those RV shopping shows? They crack me up. The stuff people prioritize is hilarious. "Oh I don't like this one because the sidetable next to the bed is small". Hmmm.... One should suffer through such trials.

      Delete