January 3, 2021

A New Rod, Because Why Not?

Treat yo' self...


While I'm not the worst tenkara rod collector out there, I've still got more than my fair share... and honestly more than I can ever use on a frequent basis. However, when this rod popped up in the "Tenkara Trading Post" a little before Christmas at a killer price, well, I couldn't pass it up. And thanks to the USPS, it arrived yesterday!


Red like a Sith Lord's lightsaber, sexy like an Italian sportscar, and packs down small like a... um... I don't know, whatever else packs down small. After last year's nonsense, heck we all deserve something nice, right?


So this Tenryu Furiabo TF39 zoom rod has found a way into my quiver, alongside my other 13 tenkara and fixed-line rods. If it proves enjoyable to fish with, perhaps I'll have a little garage sale on a few of the lesser handled models. If not, I don't think I'll have a problem re-selling it at a fair price given it retails new at well over $500. 

(Either way, then I can buy that trout spey outfit I've been dreaming about - LOL!).

So now I'm looking forward to getting it bent. The question is if I should take it to the neighborhood pond and catch a bass or 'gill, or perhaps wait for my first run up to North Georgia or North Carolina for trout. I have a feeling it'll be the former, simply because I won't be able to wait that long.

Related Note:


The individual I bought this rod from was Tom Davis, you know the guy that does all the tenkara rod reviews and fishing videos at Teton Tenkara. The same guy Matt Sment & I did a video interview with over at Tenkara Angler last year.


Anyway, I thought it might be worth adding that Tom recently released an e-book called "Teton Tenkara Flies and Kebari Collection, Volume 1." As such, Tom got a little more of my money on Friday as I picked that up as well. 

Example screenshot borrowed from Teton Tenkara

In paging through the pages of the 20 flies, recipes, and notes on how to fish them, this is proving to be a very informative resource. One I think anybody that has an interest in tenkara, or even fly fishing with wet flies might enjoy. Check it out!

6 comments:

  1. If it fishes as good as it looks then you have a winner...
    Looking forward to your review...
    Toccoa Tenkara ><)))">

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely want to get a few outings under my belt before any writeups.

      Delete
  2. I "almost" picked that one up when the email alert popped up on my phone. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for not being as impulsive as I am. LOL!

      Delete
  3. My wife is very supportive and understanding of my tenkara purchases, but I didn't even want to try to explain that one to her! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks, I'll eventually give some honest feedback.

      My wife once bought a new car without telling me (other than to come down to the dealership to pay for it), so I have plenty of built up purchasing equity! :)

      Delete