November 11, 2019

Countdown to Oni Tenkara School 2020

Okay, I've procrastinated long enough... I'm in.


While recent blog posts and photographs may indicate that I'll be doing more fly fishing (with a reel) in 2020, I'm still really into learning more and taking a "next step" in my skill level when it comes to fishing with my tenkara rods. I've dedicated a lot of time to them, but I feel as if I've hit a wall in terms of how I fish them and the techniques I apply on the water.

Unfortunately, opportunities to grow one's tenkara knowledge base can be few and far between, at least here in the United States. Most of us "tenkara anglers" are either learning from print or (more likely) online resources, making things up as we go along, or applying regular fly fishing tactics to tenkara rods. While effective in catching fish, they're likely not maximizing the tools in hand, similar to the way those with decades of experience in Japan have.

With that said, after a few years of saying, "oh, I'll do it next year," I finally signed up for the 2020 Oni Tenkara School, run by the Tenkara Guides in Utah, and led by the ever-skilled Masami Sakakibara. So I'm headed out to Utah next August, tenkara rods and horrible casting stroke in tow, looking forward to getting schooled. 


And as of last night I'm also paid in full, so there's no going back now I suppose. Bring it on "Tenkara no Oni"... We've got ten years of questionable technique to fix!

Interested in attending too? Check out the details HERE.

12 comments:

  1. Lol be fair to yourself, you have a very good cast. You’ll learn a ton more and feel more confident with a bit more line... but you’re not a terrible caster at all compared to most. I’d like to join one of these years as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance, it's tough when you don't fish with that many other tenkara anglers to get a point of reference. Will be good to learn from a master.

      Delete
  2. No time like the present Adam. Oni may not be doing many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a priceless class.
    I have been taking class with Oni 4 times including one oversea. Every time, I have learned a lot more than the previous year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Looking forward to learning more from Oni & the guides.

      Delete
  4. If you hit the Smokies or NC next year holler at me. I'd love to meet up and fish together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, definitely will. I'm good for the Smokies at least once a year.

      Delete
  5. Good on you for taking the leap on something you've talked about. We've all been there.

    ReplyDelete