October 15, 2019

Micro Spey Curious

Micro spey... trout spey... whatever they call it, I'd love to check that out.

Photo: Gorge Fly Shop

I was listening to the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast on the subject last weekend (HERE) and my mind just started wandering, thinking about standing in a river, morning mist rising off the water, rolling out casts, swinging wets and streamers... most likely coming away skunked. Predicted result aside, I think could really get into that. It could be the larger water yin to my beloved small stream yang. Plus, not being a steelhead or salmon guy, there's a ton of terminology to learn... Scandi... Skagit... etc... and new flies to tie and fill fly boxes with...


Seems like it'd be a lot of fun to play around with for trout, and in a warm water setting, smallmouth bass. Could even be a blast on the shad run... and yes, we have them down in Florida.

Anyway, here's to daydreaming a bit. If nothing else, it's always fun to window shop for new gear.

4 comments:

  1. An hour and a half slinging a Spey Rod on the Deschutes and I couldn't hold it up any longer. Soured me on Spey Rods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Mark. I think I still want to give it a go!

      Delete
  2. I have been fly fishing almost exclusively tenkara and related fixed line methods for the last few years, but recently I picked up a trout spey rod and I have to say it's a ton of fun. It's the opposite of tenkara. Instead of picking apart a stream I'm covering as much water as possible. Two handed casts are also a lot easier on my aging joints. You definitely should grab a reasonably priced 3-wt Switch or Spey rod ( I recommend the Echo SR) and the OPST Integrated Skagit line. Like I said, it's a ton of fun and works very well for warmwater species in rivers just as you predicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gear notes taken. Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

      Delete