January 11, 2016

The Quest For The Ultimate Fly Fishing Kayak - The Kaku Wahoo Kayak

I haven't really been hunting down the latest and greatest in fishing kayaks as of late, however while paging through the free Coastal Angler Magazine I picked up a few weeks ago, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the new Wahoo from Kaku Kayaks.


This kayak appears to have all the features and specs that a top notch fly fishing kayak needs. They compare well to most competitors and even have a few that right now are somewhat unique, although I'm certain will be emulated by others.

Here's the skinny from the manufacturer website:

The new Wahoo boasts a 12.5′ long by 33″ wide incredibly stable design. With a roomy open cockpit design, including adjustable foot pegs and aluminum top load gear tracks, you’ll have full control guide this highly versatile yak to your local fishing hole. The lightweight aluminum frame seat will keep you comfortable while you fish and the rear tie down system will keep your gear secure for that “Big One!” The new Wahoo is rudder and micro power pole ready (not included), so feel free to customize after purchase.
  • Length: 12.5 Feet
  • Width: 33" across
  • Weight: 74 pounds
  • Capacity: 400 pounds
  • MSRP: $1099 (although available with a pre-order price of $999)

There's clearly a lot going for for the Wahoo. I love that it's got a generally large cockpit/deck to allow for stand-up fishing and appreciate that it's designed to accommodate a Power Pole Micro, as that really seems to be an accessory that is becoming more and more popular for shallow water anglers. I've certainly had my eye on one for a little while now.

Here are a few more photos lifted from their website, to better show off some of the features since you won't be able to see this kayak in person until February...



6 comments:

  1. That fishing kayak looks amazing. I'm in the market for a fishing kayak before spring hits, this is a bit fancier than I need, but I kindof want it! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look pretty nice. I currently have a Native Slayer 12 (which I really like) and it appears to compare favorably.

      Delete
  2. I really like the looks of that kayak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking yak there. I'm looking to rent one next time I'm down in FLA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking kayak. Looks really stable and great for standing up. Those micro poles have grown a lot in popularity. I'd like one, but don't think it's ideal for me. I'll just stick with my rope and cinder block anchor method for now. ha

    ReplyDelete