March 5, 2015

Anybody Read Japanese?

Ok, I'm pretty sure that I've finally gone too far with this tenkara thing.

I recently ordered what one might call a "tenkara magazine" from Japan that I can't read.
Let me repeat that, 162 pages...zero English.
I was curious to see how different it might be from an American fishing magazine (language aside).
It came in the mail yesterday...

Headwater-Tenkara-Magazine-Spring-2015-Issue
Headwater Spring 2015

Try explaining that concept to your wife when she asks you what you ordered via registered mail...that she also had to go pick up at the post office...because the USPS wouldn't leave it at our door while I was at work.

At least the pictures are nice.

Tenkara-Eye-Candy

And there are some interesting gear diagrams that I can somewhat make out.

Tenkara-Guide-Graphic

In some ways, it's kind of like getting a Playboy magazine.
Pages and pages of words that go totally unread.

No centerfold though.

Where's my rod and reel?

15 comments:

  1. "Domestic rod manufacturers struggling to maintain unicorn inventory levels due to strong international demand and yen weakness. "


    You can translate pictures of words with google translate app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, you should see the 6 pages on the unicorn harvest...amazing stuff!

      I started playing with the app last night. A bit laborious, but definitely better than nothing.

      Delete
    2. I read on Fox News it was a good year, bumper crop.

      Delete
  2. Here's your translator & cultural interpreter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest Yuki. On the other hand, I've tried translating Japanese off his blog and it doesn't work using Google Translate so You need a live one. Looks like Satoshi has you covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I "read" some Japanese blogs and the Google Translate doesn't always work that well. Luckily sometimes you can at least get the gist of what's going on.

      Delete
  4. I also have some books and magazines in Japanese that I can't read but enjoy looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While researching for a post, I was told that Tenkara USA was going to start teaching Japanese before you commit to Tenkara. Just Sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly be helpful Howard. I think I'm in too deep at this point.

      Delete
  6. Does that map count as a spot burn? :) Ha! That said, I've ordered various European cycling mags for the pictures and hope I could decipher something... so I get it. It looks like a pretty great magazine overall!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a spot burn, that magazine is full of them! It's a great "read," beautiful streams in Japan.

      Delete
  7. (The translation). Thank you for comment to the blog.
    Is http://テンカラ.jp

    ReplyDelete