January 2, 2015

Exploring Florida - The Jacksonville Zoo

We've lived in Jacksonville-area for a year and a half and never made the drive up the I-95 corridor to the Jacksonville Zoo.  Not sure why...just never did...which is a little unexpected because we were members of two zoos back in Pennsylvania.


Well with nothing really on the agenda for New Year's Day, and the College Football Playoff games not starting until later in the day, thought it would be a good way to spend some family time together, away from electronics, and outdoors in the fresh (albeit overcast and somewhat brisk for Florida) air.


I'll spare you the tales of each exhibit.  I'll just say I was pleasantly surprised.  I'm not sure what I was expecting heading in, but the variety of animals large and small, domestic and exotic, was rather impressive, and each of which were cared for and presented in extremely nice facilities.  I have a feeling it won't take another year and a half for us to visit again.







Now I did forego my annual New Year's Day fishing outing to go to the zoo, (examples of such from prior year's HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE), but it was worth it.  These fish were pretty plump though...wonder what fly they'd take?  Should have packed the tenkara rod...


3 comments: