May 24, 2012

The #odbloglove Proposition

No, I'm not talking about the new Odblo Gloves from Glacier Glove...

Odblo Gloves???

In reading this blog, you might have recognized that I like to give out the "blog love" in my posts pretty frequently.  What's blog love you might ask?  Simply put, it's the mention/promotion of another blog for an interesting post, or even more importantly, to simply provide little bit of exposure to a new blog, helping it gain a few more readers.

I received blog love back in the day from a fellow blogger, so I only feel it's right to return the favor now, especially since Troutrageous! has gained a somewhat delusional dedicated following.


While blog-on-blog promotion is great, I noticed on Twitter yesterday that the blog love hashtag (or #bloglove) is a very underutilized term within tweets.  Do a search, I dare ya - you'll get a few results, but nothing along the lines of #FF, #RT, or even #fishchat.  I started using it for a few posts yesterday and the response from the bloggers that originally wrote those posts was great.  Yeah, they were overwhelmed by the power of the blog love.

So what I'd like to propose...the next time you're on Twitter and want to re-tweet a blog post from someone...go ahead and add the "outdoor blog love" hashtag (#odbloglove) to the end of the tweet.  Unfortunately, the much shorter #ODBL is already taken by foreigners.  

For those of you slow on the uptake I'm tossing an od to the front of bloglove to make this unique to our outdoor demographic.  Hunting, fishing, camping, it's all good...


See, any lazy bobo can just hit the RT button and send a tweet along; this actually takes a little initiative, and will make finding good blogger-recommended outdoor content even easier.  

Or don't...and suck worse than you do already.


7 comments:

  1. As always, Mike, thanks for the Blog Love. Been a long time since we first met online and have enjoyed your work all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...I didn't understand a word you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, here's the thing - and maybe you or someone else can help me with this. As you probably remember, I'm using my laptop for twittering. Well sir, when I see a blog post I want to RT, that's my only option. I can't RT and add stuff like everyone else seems to be able to do. I've wondered if that option is only for smart phone apps or something? I can use TweetDeck to do it, but using Tweetdeck I can't keep track of other cool stuff ( contacts or transactions or whatever it's called now)

    Is there something I'm missing. I'd love to use #odbloglove - but it would be a real pain 4 me I think. I'm hoping there's a way to do it and I'm just missing it. Or that it's a smart phone thing, I can win the lottery, buy a smart phone and ....problem solved. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not a smart phone thing. So let's take that out of the equation.

      Honestly, I don't use Twitter.com pretty much at all. I run all of my tweets through HootSuite (the one coincidentally with the Owl logo), even on my desktop. There's a nice Google Chrome app that embeds it into your browser. Whenever I hit the RT button, it automatically copies the previous post with an "RT" at the front and allows you to edit prior to sending. Very easy.

      I'm not sure what the solution would be in Twitter, other than actually doing a copy and paste rather than actually using the RT button.

      Here's a link comparing TweetDeck & Hootsuite, check it out if your curious. It's just one review, but does outline the differences well.
      TweetDeck VS HootSuite

      Delete
  4. As a recipient of odbloglove, I submit I will pay it forward. Thanks T!.

    ReplyDelete