March 27, 2012

Tenkara Tuesday - "Tenkara Japan"

Welcome to Tenkara Tuesday.

I was recently invited to join a Facebook group called "Tenkara Japan" by Tatsurou Okaniwa, an experienced tenkara angler, and founder of Tenkara.com and the "Tenkaraman" videos on YouTube.



(Check out the "Release Net" used in this video, there's no bag, it's more like a platform)


While we're all just a bunch of folks chasing fish, I have a feeling that this is going to become a pretty neat place to visit from time to time (much like the Tenkara-Fisher forum, which I'll admit I've been shamefully silent on as of late).

The language barrier has already created some interesting conversations...but despite that, the sharing has been pretty special.  I mean check out this fly, it's got a pretty unique tube body, something I'm not sure I've seen replicated on a tenkara fly in the States yet, even with all of the talented tiers out there.


What's next?  Beats me, but as the group grows, it'll sure be fun using Google Translate to try and figure out...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you a Western tenkara angler? Do you have a story, pictures, video, fly recipe, or simply a fishing report from one of your recent tenkara adventures? If so, Troutrageous! wants to hear from you for a future Tenkara Tuesday post! Feel free to send an email HERE, or check out this previous post for more information.


10 comments:

  1. Welcome to my life. (the google translate thing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give you credit man...I don't know how you do it on a daily basis. Are you taking language courses, or Rosetta Stone, or anything?

      Delete
    2. I have a language tutor, but I'm a long way from holding a conversation.

      Delete
  2. That fly is very cool! What exactly is that tube body material? I like that it is segmented but still has a slim profile. I have used vinyl rib and similar materials for fly bodies but I can't get them that thin. The only other way I can can get a segmented look without bulk is with a simple wire ribbing. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. There's a bit lost in translation on the site, but I agree, very interesting. I want to see if I can get one, maybe do a little fly swap.

      Delete
  3. My friend Yuki writes a blog in Japanese, but he won't let me translate it. He says that it gets too convoluted.

    The net, on the other hand, will work for Badminton when you're not fishing. Probably and expensive Badminton racket.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the net kinda confuses me a bit...that's why I called it out. I could see a fish easily flipping off of there considering there's no "bag" for it to sit in. But then again, seems to work for him, so maybe I'm missing something.

      Delete
  4. You know, if a guy wants to go fishing with an antenna from a 1970s transistor radio, far be it for me to hold that against him. But to use his kid sister's tennis racket for a net!? C'mon, take up a collection to get him some decent equipment.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's the voices I hear when I'm out fishing...

      He gets 12,000 Yen ($144) for those nets, I don't think he's the one in need of the collection.

      Delete
    2. Clearly, I'm in the wrong line of work.

      Delete