October 18, 2010

I Like 'Em Young & Stupid

Another Sunday, another outing on Valley Creek with the tenkara rod.  The fishing part of my morning could easily be summarized by the title of this post.

When I first arrived at the water it was chilly and foggy and the sun was just starting to peek out.

I was feeling good as I strolled up to the first hole and I caught three tiny guys (& a rock) within the first 15 or 20 minutes on beadhead nymphs.  Bam-bam-bam.  As the pictures below attest, they weren't beasts by any stretch.  Two running around 4 or 5 inches, and the "big" one at 8.

From there...it was definitely slower going.  I brought a few more to hand the rest of the day, but the Mom & Dad trout must have yelled at the kids for being so gullible.

Poor quality video of a release


Around 9AM I noticed it starting to get really crowded.  On my normal path upstream I had to hopscotch about 5 or 6 different anglers (I'm not one to crowd on someone's space), especially the closer I got to the Wilson Road bridge.  Once above it...forgetaboutit!

I even saw 3 different spinner fisherman upstream from the bridge. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with fishing spinners (I enjoy it myself), Valley is catch and release only so it attracts more of the fly fishing crowd.  I haven't seen any spinning rods during my travels to Valley since May.

Since the on-water traffic only seemed like it was going to get worse from that point out, I ended up taking more pictures of the scenery than fishing.  Valley Creek sits in Valley Forge National Park and it's simply stunning, especially in Autumn.  Here are some more pics from my day.
If you've fished Valley, you know where this is
Giddy Up!


13 comments:

  1. Nice title for your post.

    And - great pics. When I first saw the amazing "rock" photo, I thought you might have caught an example of the rare and unusual Baltimore Gneiss found in the Wissahickon Formation.

    Then I looked closer and realized it was just a rock!

    Good weekend to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour. We all catch a "rock fish" from time to time. Sometimes Mother Nature will even throw in a "stick fish". They are particularly hard on tackle.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading that title I just had to look further.
    Their coloring is so bright and detailed when they are young isn't it.

    Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good report and pics as always. I love that you took a picture of the rock on the end of your leader. Too funny!

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful report, and your photos take you there.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bit. At the post title. Found a nice trout fishing post. And thanks for sharing the scenery there. We've had nice weather like that around here, also. Gotta tell ya though, I'm waiting for it to get a little messier. Just me.

    Take care -

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes young and stupid beats old and wise! Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I will bite too, Michael. The "rock" was it hooked on a "Stone" fly nymph or a simple "Rock" Caddis? Just funnin' with ya'. Love the PA countryside pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pics makes you wish fall would hang around longer. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics! Did the rock cut you into the backing? Looks like a great way to spend the morning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great day on the water. Thanks for sharing.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a good day out. I had to laugh at the rock picture. When I'm out, if there's one blade of grass on the bank I'll surely get hung up on it at some point. Nice pictures, fish, and report!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, lot's of comments on this one. I need to catch rocks instead of fish more often! I'd reply to each individually, but I might be here all night. Thanks all!

    ReplyDelete