October 10, 2010

4th Annual Schuylkill River Festival

Yesterday (Saturday) was a beautiful day in terms of weather.  It was in the low 70s with blue skies and a slight breeze.  Lilly & K.C. were headed off to the birthday party for one of Lilly's school friends, so I found myself with an afternoon to myself.

Usually under circumstances like this, I'll grab the rod, jump in the SUV and head off to some water.  Today, I decided against that - as Lilly & K.C. were only going to be gone for a few hours, and I'm planning on going fishing on Sunday morning anyway.

I remembered there was going to be the Schuylkill River Festival up in Pottstown, so I decided that was where I was going to head.  Had never been there, but figured at minimum I could grab some lunch as you gotta love the food typical to events like this.
So many tasty options...

I was shocked as the size of the festival when I got there.  It was really quite large, and for being that size, very well organized.  It was a blast - I spent some time going table to table, chatting with a varied group of people - an officer from the PA Fish & Boat Commission, a gentleman from the Philadelphia Canoe Club, some really nice folks from the Audubon Society, as well as a representative from the Parks & Recreation department.  It was good to see so many clubs and interest groups present, in addition to the normal festival-type vendors.
Clydesdales - but no Budweiser
Native American demonstration
Schuylkill River Mural
Close up of angler - "FISH ON!"

Luckily, I was able to get a hold of K.C. around 2:45PM to tell her to come on over and meet up with me.  There was tons of stuff for Lilly to do - a petting zoo, games, and of course the omnipresent bounce house.  They arrived a little after 3PM, and we enjoyed ourselves until things started to shut down around 4PM.
Clown on stilts - yes, that's a Mariachi band in the background
Music by the river

I'll definitely make a point to mark this on the calendar for next year.  It was a really fun event, one I think I'd enjoy spending a little more time at.  If you're local to the Pottstown area, you may want to do the same.

7 comments:

  1. I've finally figured it out. You're also a writer over at <a href="http://bouncehouserageous.blogspot.com/>the bounce house blog</a> too! Admit it, we're on to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds and looks like it was a great festival! More places should have those kinds of events. I would enjoy something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Autumn festivals.
    And root beer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like it was a blast Mike...and very kool you were able to hook up with your wife and then get Lilly in on the action...you're making us Dads look good my man (thumbs up)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I can see, another fun afternoon. Glad you all had a good time.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Clif - You figured me out. My business card reads "Have bouncehouse, will travel."

    @Everyone else - thanks for the kind words. It was a fun time, I just had to share.

    ReplyDelete