August 12, 2015

Gear Review - Mojo Sportswear "Mr. Big" Short Sleeve Performance Fishing Shirt

Way back in the beginning of the Summer, back before the ICAST Show, I was sent a sample from Mojo Sportswear to do a gear review. They sent along a really nice fishing shirt...a Mr. Big button down performance shirt...not an "Under Armour-style" synthetic t-shirt that seems to be all the rage these days.


I wore it around the house a little bit, I wore it outside in the Florida heat, I just never wore it to go fishing. Sadly, most of my fishing plans got thwarted by either bad weather or family time over the last month or so...not that I can really complain about the latter. As such, I've been a bad blogger reviewer, something I wanted to rectify today.

So let's get into the details...in a classic "Pros & Cons" format...

PROS:

The Mr. Big shirt is really well executed. The fabric is far from flimsy, but it isn't hot either. The back venting really helps keep you cool, and this is probably one of the features I like the best about the Mr. Big. It is not a horizontal "cape" vent that run across your back similar to what many fishing shirts use, but rather a vertical slit along each shoulder with a mesh backing. 


I prefer this because when you wear the shirt it doesn't scream "HEY YO, I'M WEARING A FISHING SHIRT!" It's nice, covert ventilation. 

Another really solid feature are the pockets. The pockets you say? Yes, the pockets.

While they are big & deep enough to hold a small fly box, tippet spools, phone, or whatever, they aren't big and billowy. I'm not a big fan of over-sized pockets, at least not on shirts like this. They are also Velcro close with nylon (?) pull tabs to gain access. No zippers or buttons to deal with, I like the pockets.


The shirt is really easy care. While it's not wrinkle-proof, it takes some serious scrunching for it to show wrinkles. A simple wash, dry, and then fold or hanger and you're good to go. I'd think that'd be good for the traveling fisherman...or just somebody who is allergic to ironing shirts like myself.

Finally, there's also a nice decorative touch that is easy on the eyes with coconut accent buttons. So yeah, you can wear it fishing, but it won't look out of place at a Jimmy Buffett concert either! I like the buttons, you may not.


I didn't even mention the fact that the MaxCool fabric wicks moisture, repels stains, and has a UPF 30 rating...but let's face it, most technical performance shirts on the market have comparable features these days. My draw to this shirt is the tailoring I mentioned above. 

CONS:

With any "pros," there are always "cons" too, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention them, even though it could be considered nitpicking. My main con is what I'll call logo overload. While I don't mind a big logo on a t-shirt, I don't really care for excessive logos on button downs. It's a shirt, not a billboard.


This particular shirt has a nice sized Mojo "hook" logo above the front chest pocket, which isn't bad on its own, but it is then followed up with a pretty large Mojo wordmark logo on the back in between the shoulder blades. The back hit just isn't necessary in my opinion, and takes away from the aesthetics just a bit, particularly if you're not really a huge fan of the font.

CONCLUSION:

End of the day, I really like and would recommend the Mr. Big performance fishing shirt to anybody looking for a new shirt to add to their wardrobe. The features alone, some on par with the competition, others what I'd consider superior such as the tailoring, make this a really compelling option in a very crowded fishing shirt marketplace. And as an added bonus, you won't look out of place should you choose to wear it to work or out to eat either. As a nouveau-Floridian, this shirt screams Sunshine State to me!

---------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:
The Mojo Sportswear Mr. Big short sleeve performance fishing shirt featured in this product review was provided to me at no cost, but carries a suggested retail price of $54. I currently hold no association with Mojo Sportswear, and didn't solicit them for the product to review. It was simply offered and I accepted, I'm certain because I'm such a nice guy.

REVIEW POLICY:
As with all independent gear reviews at Troutrageous! I try my best to keep my reviews honest and unbiased. If something is good, it deserves applause; if it sucks, I'll comment on the experience, but rather than write an uncomplimentary post, inform the manufacturer my opinion of their offering directly outside of this blog. (For real, you should see some of the stuff I haven't written about...) This policy pertains to items both purchased and provided at no (or reduced) cost.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with you on the embroidery on the back of the shirt. Not really needed. Looks like a well made shirt. Ok. Now it's time to test it on the the water, T! We want to know if it is a lucky fishing shirt... =)

    ReplyDelete