December 8, 2010

Wednesday Nibbles - A Token Effort

Just warning you, the nibbles are going to suck hard this week.  Between work beating me down by day & wading through a bunch of paperwork for my trout club at nights, I'm running on empty.  Plus, the usual supply of inspirational material that tends to show up in my inbox is at an all time low.  It must be celebrating Hanukkah.  So bear with me, this might be tough.

Hmmm...what can I write about fishing considering I haven't done any legit fishing it in a little bit.  Uhhh...unfortunately not much.  I did get a nice package in the mail from John at Fish Creek Spinners to re-stock my tackle box for next Spring.  (Remember, this is not just a fly fishing blog)
Spinners in Pocket Tackle - F'n A!

I've always been a fan of his work, and he sent over an assortment of spinners, including his small Armadillo & Nitromite spinners.  I did ask him to tweak the Nitromites a bit to make them a bit heavier and I'm really looking forward to getting them wet come Opening Day 2011.  The silly stockies won't know what hit 'em!

He also sent along a really cool prototype spinner.  I just like saying "prototype"...makes me feel like I'm some sort of industry "insider" or something.  Sorta like that tool Adam Schefter on ESPN.  I'll have to ask him (John, not Adam) if I can post pics here...I don't want to let any cats out of the bag - especially because I hate cats.  Maybe next week.

You that see Sylvester Stallone got voted into the Boxing Hall of Fame for 2011?  Philadelphia's most famous citizen (who also happens to be fictional...how pathetic is that), is now alongside all time greats like Ali, Frazier, both Sugar Rays, and some guy who made a boat load of bank selling Lean, Mean, Grilling Machines.

If Rocky is in...I think I'm going to start a campaign to get Ivan Drago nominated for 2012.  Other than Mike Tyson, was there a more intimidating ring presence in the 1980s?  I mean the dude knocked Apollo Creed into the afterlife...even after an extended James Brown song and dance intro.
Drago in '12
"I must break you"

Speaking of Russia...is this on anybody's Christmas list?  It wasn't on mine, but all of the love it's gotten PRETTY MUCH EVERYWHERE makes me think I should reconsider.  Or not.


You guys catch this?  Video's not fishing related & its been out for about a month, but man if it isn't funny, in a sick & twisted kind of way.  But you know that's how I roll.  To summarize, Ducks + Wind = Laughs.


Yeah, that was kind of cruel, but they all waddled off OK.  (Note to self: wind makes for an excellent meat tenderizer.)  Don't even get all PETA up on me.

Finally, this week's blog love goes to Dub the Thorax by "They Call Me Mike."  This guy is local to me, so gotta support a fellow SE Pennsylvanian.  We in the Keystone State stick together.  Unless you're from Pittsburgh.  Ugh.

Anyway, the blog is relatively new, but it's also pretty funny.  If you like reading the inferior attempts at humor on this blog, Dub the Thorax should be right up your alley.  I'd say head on over and become a Google "Follower", but he doesn't have that little follower widget on his site yet.  Boo.  Instead, go invade his post comments & tell him who sent ya.

9 comments:

  1. I love Rocky (one) and The last one, Rocky Balboa (which I thought I'd laugh at but didn't)...cause of the underdog message, being I've been there, and now am kinda an aging underdog....but...the boxing hall of fame??????....just shows ya what 85% of this world is coming down to, smoke and mirrors. Pretty disturbing imo....rant over, yep my coffee just kicked in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really out of the loop because I have never heard of that documentary. If the whole documentary is as cheesy as the last scene of the trailer (with all the guys trying really hard to send off the heli in the proper way) I think I will pass. Ducks = Funny.
    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You scored buddy. I love the duckies in a really sick way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the love!
    I now officially have two followers.

    Widget added.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it wrong that I was laughing so hard that I spit coffee all over my keyboard when I was watching those little ducklings doign a tuck and roll. That was great.

    Thanks for sharing.



    Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drago definitely deserves to be in if Rocky is. I remember thinking he was the scariest man alive when I was a kid.
    I guess the feelings of the rest of PA towards Pittsburgh are kinda like the "love" Memphis gets from the rest of TN. I lived in Knoxville for two and a half years and never heard one positive perspective on my hometown the whole time I lived there. Even the Knoxville news only showed murder and mayhem stories out of M-town... well, we are known for that, but still, some good stuff happens... occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's with the hatin' of the Pittsburgh people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dennis - Smoke & mirrors make the world go round.

    @S&D - I don't get it either. Then again, I don't like most of those extreme location based fishing movies anyway.

    @Cofisher & PTO - Windblown ducks are awesome.

    @TCMM - No sweat. Believe me, the widget is key. People are vain...that's why they write blogs. :)

    @Jay - No shit, right? Don't mess with Drago. Only thing keeping him out might be the 'roids.

    @Bill - You know how it is. There's Southeastern PA (Philadelphia) and the rest of the state (the sticks). We're better and we know it. I'm certain the "love" is reciprocal. :)

    If it's any consolation, I'll be the first to admit that you've got the better trout streams over on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Sly and all, but when I saw he had been entered in the hall of fame, I kinda had to wonder why. I guess if you play a boxer in enough movies that's good enough now. Huh.

    ReplyDelete