September 5, 2010

Sunday Morning Session

Was miserable when I woke up this AM.  Allergy season is hitting me hard, despite medication, and my head felt like it was going to explode from congestion.  My remedy (as with most things) was to go fishing.

It was a beautiful morning.  Even, might I say without sounding like a wuss, a bit chilly.  When I hit Valley Creek this AM, the thermometer in my car said it was 57 degrees.  Haven't felt an autumn chill like that in a while, it felt really good.
Look at the focus & intensity on this idiot

If you read my blog regularly, there was nothing revolutionary (get it?...revolutionary...Valley Creek...Valley Forge National park...) about my morning of fishing.  I fished my standard nymphs below dries and landed more than a handful of little Valley brownies.  Here's two, they could almost be brothers.

I also thought I'd do a little exploring, so I hopped in the car and drove 5 minutes over to Little Valley Creek, which I guess is an offshoot or tributary of Valley Creek.  I had never been there, and it was some really tight fishing.  It was very difficult to maneuver my tenkara rod for casts, probably would have been better off with a 5 foot spinning outfit.  Most sections were maybe 6 or so feet wide bank to bank, but it did have some really cool pockets and eddies that held some small trout.


The biggest trout I encountered were hanging out under this neat stone bridge, but I wasn't able to bring any Little Valley Creek trout to hand.  Maybe another day.

Another light weekend session in the book.  In case you haven't noticed, I love fishing Valley Creek.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry about the snootful. There is a saying in the valley, here. If you don't have allergies, wait, you will. We sympathize. Must be great fishing in such an historic area.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have the same net, but prefer not to use it because the foam handle emits some sort of gooey stuff. Like someone smeared it with Vaseline. I've washed it but it just comes back. Same trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics! I put down the gear this weekend to recoup from... well, nothing. It was 47 degrees this morning in Gatlinburg. It's almost Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to not feeling so great and going fishing. It does seem to make it better for awhile. Good to see you getting out after some trout. You're right, that bridge is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. right on! sorry you were not feeling well, do you feel better now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound of an interesting blog, if you enjoy fishing you can visit my blog amateur: http://pescuitamator. blogspot. com / blog and Fishing: http://fishingnike. blogspot. com / with esteem and respect Nik.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya on the allergies...I wish they happened in the dead of Summer rather that the best times of year...I always know when the weather is getting nice...LOL, on the pic caption...nice read (thumbs up)

    ReplyDelete