May 17, 2010

Make Your Own Magnetic Fly Box

I had bought some flexible magnetic tape from the hardware store a few months ago for a project around the house.  It was a large roll, so I had a lot left over.  Tonight I put some to use on a DIY magnetic fly box:

1.  Roll of magnetic vinyl tape - I'm using the leftover 3M

2. Empty Altoids-type mint tin - I'm using L.L. Bean Fisher-Mints container.  (I'm sure if you're into dipping tobacco, an empty tin of Skoal, Copenhagen, etc...would work too)

3.  Cut size appropriate strip of tape and line the bottom of the tin.  In this case I actually had to cut a strip and a half as the tin was wider than the tape.

4.  Drop in some flies.  In this case my typical tenkara arsenal of Beadhead Prince Nymphs & CDC Elk Hair Caddis.

I've shaken it, tipped it upside down, they don't seem to fall out.  May not be great for bulky streamers or dries, but for these size #14 nymphs (& I'd imagine smaller flies), it seems to work pretty well.


12 comments:

  1. Fits right in with the hook holders on your rod. Nessesity is the mother and all that.


    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty neat idea. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first flybox. An old altoids tin and ten flies. I caught a lot of fish with that simple setup. I like your tin better. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used them many times.

    Nice that you brought it to others.


    Brk Trt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this too. It is my transfer tin from bench to box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Know I'm not reinventing the wheel, but ever since I got a magnetic chest pack (no zippers), I've really been intrigued on how to further utilize magnets in my fishing. Plus that tape is just so handy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I have done a magnetic flybox based on your tip. I used a different tinbox.

    http://petersflugfiskeblogg.blogspot.com/

    Peter from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Peter - That's awesome, glad you found this helpful. BTW, stopped over at your site as well. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty cool and if it falls apart in the water you won't drown. (see duct tape kayak)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about the cool design on the lid? How/where do we get that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got those mints at an outdoor store. Maybe LL Bean? It's been a few years.

      Delete